If you like to take your dogs swimming, please be aware of the dangers of blue-green algae. It is
TOXIC! It can and will kill your dog. Know what to look for and the symptoms. And if at all in question
then avoid that body of water.
Blue-green algae is not always blue-green. It can be green, yellow, brown, or
even red. So do not let the name be deceiving.
"Blooms can occur at any time, but most often occur in late summer or early fall. They can
occur in marine, estuarine, and fresh waters, but the blooms of greatest concern are the ones that occur in fresh water, such
as drinking water reservoirs or recreational waters.
Some cyanobacterial blooms can look like foam, scum, or mats on the surface of fresh water
lakes and ponds. The blooms can be blue, bright green, brown, or red and may look like paint floating on the water. Some blooms
may not affect the appearance of the water. As algae in a cyanobacterial bloom die, the water may smell bad.
Some cyanobacteria that can form CyanoHABs (Harmful Algal Blooms) produce toxins that are among
the most powerful natural poisons known. These toxins have no known antidotes.
Swallowing water that has cyanobacterial toxins in it can cause acute, severe gastroenteritis
(including diarrhea and vomiting).
Liver toxicity (i.e., increased serum levels of liver enzymes). Symptoms of liver poisoning
may takes hours or days to show up in people or animals. Symptoms include abdominal pain, diarrhea, and vomiting.
Neurotoxicity. These symptoms can appear within 15 to 20 minutes after exposure. In dogs,
the neurotoxins can cause salivation and other neurologic symptoms, including weakness, staggering, difficulty breathing,
convulsions, anddeath. People may have numb lips, tingling fingers and toes, or they may feel dizzy." (taken from the
USDAC site at the following link http://www.usdac.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=59&Itemid=107 )
It can be there one day and gone the next.
If in doubt, don't let your dog swim there. Its better to be safe than
Dogs develop the toxicity from ingestion of the algae. This can come from
a dog drinking the water or even accidentally ingesting it from licking their hair after a day of swimming.
Toxicity can occur either in the liver of the dog that ingested the algae or
in the nervous system.
Signs of Blue-Green Algae Toxicity in the liver may
Pale mucous membranes
Signs of Blue-Green Algae Toxicity in the nervous system may include:
If you think your dog has been poisoned by blue-green algae get them to the vet immediately.
There is no way to treat this at home by yourself. It could be the difference between life and death!
For more info click here
I am more than happy to answer questions, but if you are emailing me to be rude, please dont bother. It
just wastes my time and yours. Remember the old saying "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!"
PLEASE TAKE NOTE THAT I NO LONGER BREED POODLES! I do not have any puppies or adults for sale.
All articles on this site unless otherwise states are written by me, Keisha of Arpeggio Poodles.
Articles by other people have been given their due credit. PLEASE DO NOT STEAL MY ARTICLES AND CLAIM OR PORTRAY THEM
AS YOUR OWN. Rights to post my articles on other sites MUST be expressly given and they MUST be
credited to me along with a link to my site. I am sorry I have to post this but I am finding my articles being stolen
and being placed on other peoples sites.
All photos are sole property of Arpeggio Poodles unless otherwise noted. Reproduction of photos without express written
permission is prohibited!
Site designed and maintained by Keisha of ARPEGGIO Poodles.
All pictures and graphics (unless otherwise stated) are of my own
design. Please do not take them. If you would like some for yourself please ask. I would be happy to make
them especially for you.
Most of the information on my site is from
my own views, opinions, or research that I have done. Where appropriate I have sited my sources and links
to their sites. Do not take my opinions as that of a licensed vet. Any person that relies solely on my
information does so at their own risk.
Thanks for all the support! We have reached so many visits that our counter that only goes to
1,000,000,000 has started over for the 4th time now. Thanks everyone for making this site such a success!
This site is dedicated to my Mother and Father. Afton Jeannette Huff Davis (10/22/1920 - 2/27-2008) and
Robert Glen Davis Jr (9/16/24 - 2/3/2012). Bless you both. I know you are happy once again being reunited.
Thank you for being my friends, my teachers, my heros and my parents. I miss you both greatly. Your loving daughter.